Keen to impress the fam this Chrissy? It’s all about what you put down on the table at lunchtime. That’s why we hit up chef Darren Robertson for his go-to holiday favourite…
“I usually celebrate Christmas with the family. Typically we’ll fire up the BBQ, cook for most of the day, and keep the kids entertained. It’s usually very noisy, chaotic and a lot of fun. I generally cook outside, which is the safest place to be and gets me out of the washing up!
This is our Ducks charred herb salsa recipe with flat iron. It works great on most proteins and vegetables. We serve it with beef or lamb in the restaurant – very easy and pretty tasty…”
Flat iron, greens and charred herb salsa
– 1 x 1kg flat iron steak
– ½ bunch coriander
– ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley
– ½ bunch green shallots
– 1 lemons, zest & juice
– 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
– 150ml extra virgin olive oil
– ½ red onion, finely diced
– salt and pepper
– 1 lemon
– handful of greens
1. Heat a barbecue grill to high and throw on the herbs and shallots. Char them until you start to see some burnt tips and black bits, then turn over and char on the other side. Set aside to cool down then chop finely.
2. Put them in a medium-sized bowl with the remaining ingredients, mix and set aside ready to go with the steak. Cut up the greens and cook on the BBQ.
3. Season the steaks with salt, barbecue for around 10 mins (until medium/medium rare), season with pepper for second half of cooking. Rest for a good 6 minutes then carve.
4. Serve with the charred herb salsa, lemon, mustard and greens.